61 Scotland Road
Canandaigua, NY 14424
Circa 1992
        Donna Scott, Owner

Your Subtitle text
A Little About Us
Scotland Yard Tax Service has been in business since 1992. I am the owner; my husband and I operate the business. I have prepared numerous Income Tax Returns for Individuals, Couples, Families, Small Business Owners and Professionals.  
I am proficient with Quickbooks, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Log Me In Software, ATX/Kleinrock Tax Software and other related software products. 

I worked for the New York State Department of Transportation for over thirty five years.  During that period of time I held the position of Office Manager for the Highway Department and the Bridge Maintenance Department. I was a Real Estate Specialist for the Department of Real Estate; working as a negotiator and an appraiser of Residential, Commercial and Investment properties. During this time period my Income Tax Business was part time.  After my retirement from New York State in January of 2005, my Income Tax Business became my full time career.

Every year I attend conferences and seminars relating to tax laws and changes in the tax code. I have logged many hours of training, and continue to attend training courses every year.  I am registered with New York State for tax preparation and have passed the NYS Registered Tax Preparer Exam. I hold the designation of Accredited Tax Preparer, and am bound by Circular 230 of the IRS Code. 

My husband and I have lived in the Canandaigua area since our marriage in 1968.  We have raised two daughters here and expect to continue to stay in this area. 

Points to Keep in Mind When Choosing A Tax Preparer 

If you pay someone to prepare your tax return, the IRS urges you to choose that preparer wisely. Taxpayers are legally responsible for what’s on their tax return even if it is prepared by someone else. So, it is important to choose carefully when hiring an individual or firm to prepare your return. Most return preparers are professional, honest and provide excellent service to their clients.

Here are a few points to keep in mind when choosing someone else to prepare your return:

  1. Ask if the preparer is affiliated with a professional organization that provides its members with continuing education and resources and holds them to a code of ethics. New regulations require all paid tax return preparers including attorneys, CPAs and enrolled agents to apply for a Preparer Tax Identification Number — even if they already have one — before preparing any federal tax returns after 2010.
  2. Check on the preparer’s history. Check to see if the preparer has a questionable history with the Better Business Bureau and check for any disciplinary actions and licensure status through the state boards of accountancy for certified public accountants; the state bar associations for attorneys; and the IRS Office of Professional Responsibility for enrolled agents.
  3. Find out about their service fees. Avoid preparers who base their fee on a percentage of your refund or those who claim they can obtain larger refunds than other preparers.
  4. Make sure the tax preparer is accessible. Make sure you will be able to contact the tax preparer after the return has been filed, even after the April due date, in case questions arise.
  5. Provide all records and receipts needed to prepare your return. Most reputable preparers will request to see your records and receipts and will ask you multiple questions to determine your total income and your qualifications for expenses, deductions and other items.
  6. Never sign a blank return. Avoid tax preparers that ask you to sign a blank tax form.
  7. Review the entire return before signing it. Before you sign your tax return, review it and ask questions. Make sure you understand everything and are comfortable with the accuracy of the return before you sign it.
  8. Make sure the preparer signs the form and includes their PTIN. A paid preparer must sign the return and include their PTIN as required by law. Although the preparer signs the return, you are responsible for the accuracy of every item on your return.The preparer must also give you a copy of the return.

You can report abusive tax preparers and suspected tax fraud to the IRS on Form 3949-A, Information Referral or by sending a letter to Internal Revenue Service, Fresno, CA 93888. Download Form 3949-A from or order by mail at 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).            



Issue Number:    Tax Tip 2018-153

Here are facts to help taxpayers understand the different filing statuses

Taxpayers don’t typically think about their filing status until they file their taxes. However, a taxpayer’s status could change during the year, so it’s always a good time for a taxpayer to learn about the different filing statuses and
which one they should use.

It’s important a taxpayer uses the right filing status because it can affect the amount of tax they owe for the year. It may even determine if they must file a tax return at all. Taxpayers should keep in mind that their marital status on Dec. 31 is their status for the whole year.

Sometimes more than one filing status may apply to taxpayers. When that happens, taxpayers should choose the one that allows them to pay the least amount of tax.

Here’s a list of the five filing statuses and a description of who claims them:

  • Single. Normally this status is for taxpayers who aren’t married, or who are divorced or legally separated under state law.
  • Married Filing Jointly. If taxpayers are married, they can file a joint tax return. When a spouse passes away, the widowed spouse can usually file a joint return for that year.
  • Married Filing Separately. A married couple can choose to file two separate tax returns. This may benefit them if it results in less tax owed than if they file a joint tax return. Taxpayers may want to prepare their taxes both ways before they choose. They can also use this status if each wants to be responsible only for their own tax.
  • Head of Household. In most cases, this status applies to a taxpayer who is not married, but there are some special rules. For example, the taxpayer must have paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for themselves and a qualifying person. Taxpayers should check all the rules and make sure they qualify to use this status.
  • Qualifying Widow(er) with Dependent Child. This status may apply to a taxpayer if their spouse died during one of the previous two years and they have a dependent child. Other conditions also apply.

For more information on filing status go to the
Interactive Tax Assistant on the IRS website.
Publication 501
IRS Tax Map: Filing Status
IRS Tax Map: Filing Status, Single

Website Builder